The original 1694 Hale House structure was built in 1694 for Rev. John Hale, the first minister of Beverly and an important figure in the Salem witchcraft trial. The Hales, and then their Bancroft descendants owned the property until 1937. At one point, the family owned 100 acres, including what is now Dane Street Beach. The current 1-acre property is used for recreation and outdoor performances. The house is open for tours seasonally.