The John Cabot House is a Georgian-style mansion built in 1781 during the Revolutionary War; it was the first brick mansion built in Beverly. The wealth of the Cabot family is reflected in the architecture of the house, the beautifully carved paneling, and decorations such as the Dutch tiles surrounding the fireplace. It would have been furnished with elegant furniture and decorative objects from around the world; a showplace to emphasize the success of John Cabot.
The Beverly Bank was founded here in 1802, and conducted business in this building until it moved to another building on Cabot Street in 1868. The property was willed to the historical society in 1892 by then owner Edward Burley. It now serves as a museum of Beverly history, a research center, and a regional visitor center.